Plaistow Primary is an inclusive school where we focus on the wellbeing and progress of every child, and where all members of our community are of equal worth.
At Plaistow Primary School and Children's Centre, we work hard to create an equitable, high-performing school (and workplace) which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be). We use the term 'equitable' instead of 'equal' because we're focused on giving everyone what they need to be successful. Equality means treating people the same, but that only works if everyone starts from the same place and needs the same help. We recognise that this is not always the case, and that it is our responsibility to acknowledge these differences and give tailored support.
We believe that the Equality Act 2010 provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
We recognise that these duties reflect international human rights standards as expressed in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, and the Human Rights Act 1998.
We seek to embed equality of access, opportunity and outcome for all members of our school community, within all aspects of school life.
We actively seek out opportunities to embrace the following key concepts:
- The dignity of the human person.
- Valuing difference and diversity. We appreciate the richness within our differences and look for ways of celebrating and understanding them better.
- Interdependence, interaction and influence. We recognise that, as they evolve, distinct cultures, beliefs and lifestyles will impact on and inform each other.
- Social cohesion within our school and within our local community.
- Excellence. We aim to inspire and recognise high personal and collective achievement throughout our community, the UK and the wider world. Excellence is to be found everywhere.
- Personal and cultural identity. We will provide opportunities to explore and value the complexity of our personal and cultural identities.
- Fairness and social justice. We will develop our understanding of the inequality that exists in society and explore ways of individually and collectively promoting a more equitable society.